How do Black Women and White Women understand the term Karen and how do we use that understanding to bridge the gap between us? Listen as Lenya and Alexandra discuss their first experiences with Karenism, topics of other nicknames for white women abusing their privilege, and if we should even be using these nicknames or if each one of them should be outed by their name to shame them.
Prompts to get us going—in a slight arc:
- When do you first hear of the term?
- Do you think the Karenism is entitlement, race or both?
- Should it be a crime to call the police on Black People being Black?
- Have you experienced a Karen? Been a Karen?
- What do you say to Black women named Karen? Is it the name?
- Do you think it ever gets too mean or pointed to describe a type of person with physical
- If someone has been a Karen in the past…what next?
We want to hear from you! Let us know how you’re speaking about these issues with your friends. Let us know what topics you want to hear!
Email us at Lenya.Alexandra.BridgingtheGap@gmail.com
You can find us at: WomenBridgingtheGap.com
You can find Lenya at: Instagram – @Lenya_ goddess_ that_bitch